A million new internet users came online every day in 2018 -that is 11 people per second. Ok so these are global numbers but the We Are Social and Hootsuite’s Digital 2019 report gives some great insights into digital in the UK. Here are the highlights and round up of things you need to know for internet social media usage for business.
- There are now 63.43million Internet users in the UK
- Active social media users are now at 45 million. This is 67% of the population
- Annual digital growth rates showed a 2.3% increase of 1m active social media users
- Average daily time spent using social media on any device is 1 hour 50 mins
- 90% use the internet every day
- Google, Youtube and Facebook are the top 3 ranking websites bu average monthly traffic
- 26% use voice search (start thinking about voice search for your business)
- The top 5 most active social media platforms are YouTube, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and Instagram.
- The advertising audience for Facebook in the UK is 40m, followed by 24 million for Instagram and 13.6 million for WhatsApp
- Facebook Quarterly audience growth was static at 0% but Instagram growth was 4.3%. In fact, Instagram was the only platform with positive growth
- Linked in and Instagram saw the largest quarter on quarter growth in advertising reach
- 86% of internet users searched online for a product or service to buy
- 13% of internet users use social media for business. This is compared to 24% globally.
- The UK stands at number 5 in the LinkedIn user base with an 8% increase in this research period
- There are 4.388 billion internet users and 3.484 billion active social media users globally
- 98% have visited or used a social network or messaging service in the past month
- 8.9 is the average number of social media accounts held per person
- Instagram is growing the fastest with a 4.4% increase in users
- Average organic page reach in the UK is 6.9% compared to 6% globally
- Average engagement on Facebook for video posts is 6.03% versus 2.01% for status posts
- Aside from Instagram Nike is the only brand to appear in the top 20 Instagram accounts globally – showing us that personal brands fair well on the platform
- Linked in saw an increase of 3.2% to 604.4 million users
With such impressive statistics, what are the implications for your business
- It might be worth starting to think about Voice search as this grows in importance
- Video and messaging must be part of your marketing strategy.
- Facebook may have suffered a few setbacks recently but they cannot be ignored for the sheer size of their total advertising platform.
- You need to think about Instagram and what it can do for your business. Need help. Let me know.
- One of the key recommendations of the report is that brands need to use digital technology to rebuild trust with consumers. I believe that this is a key point of difference for small business.
- LinkedIn is of growing importance in the UK – how effectively are you using it?
- Storifying social is seen as a key trend and will help to build the brand story. 64% of marketers have implemented stories in the last year
*We Are Social 2019 Digital trends report Jan 2018 – Jan 2019 can be found at https://wearesocial.com/uk/digital-2019
** The Hootsuite 2019 Social trends Survey can be found at https://hootsuite.com/resources/2019-social-media-trends-toolkit